Old Oct 02, 2011, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by Julez
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,609 Posts
New Version

Hi!

Meanwhile, I had finished the plane, but it did not fly too well. It was rather havy.
So, I decided to disassemble the above version and to build everything new.
The new version, weighs 500g less, and offers other benefits as well. I installed a selfwound Scorpion motor, this time in pull configuration. It produces far less noise now.
The flight caracteristics are excellent, just the way the glow version is.
It pulls 37A on a 4s A123 pack, and gives 10min flight time before my Jeti telemetry warns me when 1750mAh are used up.
6-7m or runway are needed for a start, and the climb rate is pretty good.
So is the maneuverability, as long as the motor runs. When gliding, rudder reaction leaves something to be desired, but that is not a big problem, once one gets used to it. I could handle the plane and the camera simultaneously.
The CG position is rather unproblematic, it flies equally well with a 3s 2200mAh LiPo pack, which is half the weight. So, with 2 of those or a 4000mAh pack, one could double the flight time. I think I will do this in the future as well.

I will make a hood for all the electronics and the battery, and a new sail, too. The old spinnaker one is rather worn out, and the new one will be made from "Contender Sailcloth". This is an exellent material.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Last edited by Julez; May 06, 2012 at 04:04 AM.