View Single Post
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:21 AM
Find More Posts by DGrant
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootnstarz View Post
I am doing a repair job on a 35% Edge and the aluminum landing gear is bent. Someone told me to heat it up to straighten it. I know the old fashion vice and hardwood blocks won't work on a gear this thick.

What's the best way to straighten out these large landing gears?

Rick
I've found an old picnic bench thats very sturdy and secure serves as a nice leverage point. The bench has to extremely strong, like you'd find in a state-park, or maybe even your flying field.. thats where mine are.. Stick it between the slats strategically and bend away. Its not that hard to bend these types of gear. If it bent out of shape, it will bend into shape..guarentee it. I'm about 280lbs.. I have no problem bending it any way I like.. given the correct leverage. You don't need heat.. I'm sure there was no heat when it bent out of shape.. and if you're not 280lbs there's always a way to use "cheater" bars. You probably don't even need a vice if you can find the type of table I'm talking about.. and vises just leave ugly grip marks.. haha...Id rather have bent gear then something with teeth marks.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant