View Single Post
Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by Mike_Then
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,540 Posts
.....and you won't make it to the end, as you're plane will run out of juice halfway through the round. One of our club members tried electric combat with us, and had a hard time making it work. No slight on his skills, of course, it's just that the plane becomes too heavy to be competitive for an e-power system equivalent of a .25-sized glow engine. And by the time you stick the equipment in the plane to make it as fast and maneuverable as a .25 glow combat plane (such as a LiPo pack, ESC, brushless motor, and gearbox), you'll have $250 invested. That is way too much in a plane that will most likely not go home in one piece that day, IMHO.

Most of us buy Battle Floyd or Predator kits, and stick in used engines and radio equipment. Assuming the engine and radio survives the crash (which it does 9/10 times), I'm out a $40 plane but have everything else that I need to stick in another airframe. Our club's objective was to have fun at the lowest possible cost, and you just can't do that with an electric combat plane that's going to mix it up with glow planes. They have to be able to shrug off hits in the air, as well as tow a 20' streamer with a 10' string.

If your club is going to follow the AMA/RCCA rules for combat, the weight limit for the planes is 3.5 pounds for glow and 4 pounds for electric (glow is weighed dry, while electric is weighed with batteries in place). Heats are 5 minutes each, with a 90-second launch window - the round is started once all planes are in the air or the 90 seconds expire, whichever occurs first. Keep that in mind when putting together your power system.

I'm not knocking you or trying to discourage you; merely telling you of my friend's experience. Good luck, and I hope you make it work!
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then