View Single Post
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:33 AM
Find More Posts by burkefj
Joined Oct 2006
2,572 Posts
Balance the model at the CG point indicated on the plans with a loaded rocket motor in place. It may take nose weight or a larger battery to obtain this. This is safe for the first flight, it will be stable on boost and then be nose heavy on glide, be ready to put in some up trim once the motor burns out when you get to launching.

If possible do some glide tests in tall grass. Try to launch the model slight nose up as in a "mush". If the plane is stable, it will drop the nose slightly and go into a glide. If it is tail heavy it will pitch up or just keep mushing. Do not attempt to fly it in this condition.

As you get more experience you may find you can move the boost CG back slightly and be slightly tail heavy on boost and slightly nose heavy on glide. These models are quite well behaved on boost and just need minor stick input to maintain a vertical boost. On glide keep the nose down slightly to keep airspeed, plan your approach and flare near the ground to touch down tail first.

Test flights today were perfect, straight launch, and some up trim needed for glide, as expected.

I recommend a 1/4" 6 foot launch rod to ensure stability especially in windy launches and the E-6RC aerotech reload motor.
If you set at least 1" of movement for both aileron and elevator up and down, you should have plenty of throw for compensating for the nose heavy condition, in fact I didn't need as much trim as I expected.

The plans should show the liftoff CG(the most rearward cg you should have with loaded motor, and the glide CG which is about an inch ahead of this. If you do not see them marked on the plans, please be sure to do glide tests and confirm or contact me.

Good luck.

Frank
burkefj is online now Find More Posts by burkefj
Last edited by burkefj; Nov 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM.