Thread: Discussion E-flite Blade SR 120 Thread.
View Single Post
Old Sep 25, 2011, 03:52 PM
Saxguy1000 is offline
Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Rockin' & Flyin'
Saxguy1000's Avatar
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,965 Posts
I hate LiPo

Guess where I spent the afternoon? In the emergency room due to a lipo blowout.

I use a Thunder Power 610C charger which has served me well for a year. I was charging a Tenergy 3.7V 500mAh 15C battery with a Tarantula Eight-in-One RC Charging Cable. I had noticed that this battery had quit early on me on a flight yesterday and, in testing with a volt meter, I saw that it was not fully charged. I thought that maybe I had accidentally missed charging it with my other 6 batteries, so I put it back on to be charged. I knew there was something strange about how it was acting. It was charging too long and the the charger was not shutting off, so I shut it down before it finished.

Not thinking about it again, I prepared to charge another battery, but got up to open the window. While I was up, I heard a "whoosssssh," turned around to see the battery blowing smoke like an Estes rocket engine on take off. I immediately knew that I had to get it outside the house before it burnt the place down. I always charge batteries in a safe place, but I feared this thing could shoot around or explode or something. Well, I picked up charger in all to quickly take it outside, but in the process, I flipped the burning battery on the wires onto my hand.

You can see in the photo that I have 2nd degree burns on my right hand. Not too bad, really, but I now have a burned hand and a burnt floor where the battery broke off the charger.

Here's the analysis:

o I knew that this battery was acting strange and I should have marked it and gave it special consideration when I charged it.
o I did everything right for most part--I did not leave the charger while charging, I monitored its charging and stopped it when I saw that it was over charging.
o The charging wires were burnt up all the way back on the 8-in-1. That indicates that there was a short circuit either in the battery or in the wire harness. I actually am suspecting that it could have been the wire shorting out first just because it looks very melted. I think it contributed to the charger not sensing the correct level of charge as it should have, and over-charged the battery.
o I immediately pulled the plug on the charger which may have saved a larger problem with the suspect wiring.
o I should not have picked up the battery, but let it finish burning--since it was on a safe surface.

Thanks to my wife who happens to know where the emergency room is from another mishap earlier this week (not me!) and calmly drove me there.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Reply With Quote