View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:28 AM
Find More Posts by mrodgers
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Just a slight fix in the description of the foam because there are several different foams that people throw around the names of and they all have quite different properties....

This wouldn't be extruded polystyrene. It would be expanded polystyrene. Extruded polystyrene is extruded in sheet form such as the favorite Dow fan fold foam, Depron, Rediboard at the Dollar Store, etc. Expanded foams would be individual beads expanded from plastic pellets and steam molded into a shape such as this airframe.

On top of that, at least with the wings, this from their website.....

.... leads me to believe it is not polystyrene but polyolefin or possible polypropylene. Expanded polystyrene is very very light, but also very brittle in that it won't flex but will snap because of how very little steam is used in the molding process fusing the little foam beads together. Polyolefin is a mixture of polystyrene and polyethylene which allows it to be far more flexible. Polypropylene is quite a bit heavier, but even more flexible and would be nearly crashproof compared to the other 2 foams.

I work with expanded foams manufacturing, so I just wanted to clear that up because it does make a difference in crash resistivity. I don't see on the website where it tells what foam is used in manufacturing. All I see is a small link to where they describe "FlightFlex Foam" as being flexible and crash resistant.

Looks like a neat little Easystar style micro model, something to put in the hanger to add a pusher prop glider to the micro warbirds for some relaxed cruising.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers