Thread: Discussion Continuing a legend
View Single Post
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by tcabner
Joined Feb 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoTX View Post

The best way to build the wing of course is to cut out all the ribs with leading edge and spar notches done.. trailing edge stock notched to accept the ribs.. Reference the wing Chord... the bottom spar can be hard balsa... BUT the top spar SHOULD be spruce.. the reason is that it will hold up better at the wing saddle.

Pin down the bottom spar, space the ribs, place down the notched trailing edge, pin and brace the dowel leading edge in place... then add the spruce top spar... once all of the piece are in place on the board... use CA to tack glue all of the joints... once done (both wing panels can be done at the same time) add the vertical sheer webbing between the spars as noted... Wing done.. excpect for covering of course.. Note: I do add a triangle gusset at the wing tip rib/trailing edge... Just that strength monster in me.. LOL
Also as a tip for reference.. I like to add a few degrees of washOUT in the trailing edge wing tips... this enables the wing to provide stability and lift at lower airspeeds and for the wing to continue to fly so ta speak...

Yuppers... I got long winded again.. Yell if ya have any questions or concerns.

Banjo
Can both the top and bottom spars be spruce?
tcabner is offline Find More Posts by tcabner