Old Sep 14, 2011, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by planepainter
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,033 Posts
Question
Where did all the thermals go?....

I took my newly converted E Aspire out to Peeler Park for what I thought was going to be a good day of soaring. But after time went by all I seemed to find was sink- and BIG sink at that.
The forecast was for temps at about 90 degrees with light winds out of the south west. Looked good to me! There were even some die-hard buzzards around that were taunting me to come up and play.
But all through the day all I managed to catch was a moderate thermal that only lasted a few minutes. Now, I will admit that I am still relatively new to soaring and my skills still leave a lot to be desired. But I am getting to where I can read the signs fairly well and can manage to exploit lift when the plane signals. I have tried to learn from the best, Larry Vincek and Bruce Breidenbach for getting me thus far. But yesterday even the buzzards were buying airline tickets...
In light of the dismal soaring day I have to ask: what were some of the factors (besides a doof commanding the plane) that led to very little lift? Even Bruce, after having no luck himself, said that it could be that the temps at altitude and near the ground were close and would not allow much convection...
Besides that, what else could have been some factors?

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter