View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by davereap
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,515 Posts
Build Log
"W" wings....

Three excellent models are combined to get the best of each..

The result I am calling the "W" wing ............heart shape
The idea came about when I was designing a new night kite.. The W shape lends itself to cross bracing which makes for a rigid structure..
To fit in a my holiday suitcase the model needed to be folded into 3 layers of about 26" length by 13" width.. the middle panel which also lies flat will fold down to form the center of the W.. And when folded into the W shape CF cross bars at the top and bottom of the W will keep it rigid..

To test the model I first built a foam version, and made it using a KFm4 section
The big 26L version is all from 6mm depron.. The layers that make the steps are directly laminated with no spars.. being direct laminations it is the easier build of the two..
Specs are 26"x13" panel size.. AUW 18.5oz ..area 5.89 sqft .. loading 3.14ozsqft .. 150W bell motor ..1300 3 cell lipo .. 3x 12gm metal gear servos .. 20A ESC .. Hitec REC ..

EDIT Although this big'nflies very well it is too docile... the mid size version at 21" long is proving to be superb in all ways ..It has the good all round mix which makes it a lot of fun, whist still having a lot of stability..
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Mar 18, 2012 at 04:31 AM.