View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2004, 05:32 AM
Find More Posts by steve ypsi mi
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
Here's another way to make a container to charge in, I used a 2 pound Coffey can for the outer shell, the inside one is a 28 ounce tomato can, I placed 2 1/2 inches of sand blasting sand or play sand in the bottom of the Coffey can and then set the tomato can on top of that, I then poured sand around the tomato can , I have a wire welder so I made a top out of metal and welded a hinge to it, the old grinding wheel in the photo will be placed on top to act as a dampener, not heavy enough to hold it down firm and the lid is not air tight any way.
as far as the ammo can acting like a bomb, I have never seen a battery go off but I doubt it is as strong as black powder which I do know about. all powder has to be compressed tight so it can explode, if it has the least bit of space it will just burn, 40 years ago I made 12 gauge shells with the old felt wads and a hand loader, I didn't tamp the wads tight, I pushed them in till they were snug, well when they were shot the lead shot went about 5 feet out of the barrel and fell to the ground, this was with modern powder.it needed to be compressed tightly to fire right.
Gasoline is a power full explosive, in my work we had a kid that tried to blow up his dads car by placing a rag in the gas tank fill hole and lighting it , it didn't do any thing and I don't know why.
Until I see one go off I can only speculate on what will take place, That's the reason I would have a way to vent the ammo can so it have a way for the fire to escape and not be like a compressed shot shell. the coffey can is no doubt totally safe as far as being a bomb so thats what I am going to use now as the lid can raise slightly to let out pressure
steve ypsi mi is offline Find More Posts by steve ypsi mi
Last edited by steve ypsi mi; Mar 10, 2004 at 05:34 AM.