Thread: Idea B-24D Liberator
View Single Post
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
12,824 Posts
Kevin, what span are you looking to make the model? If you're not sure yet I'd suggest something up around 40 to 45 inches. It's large enough to more easily carry the unavoidable extra weight of the drive train to the props yet at the same time given the higher aspect ratio of the B-24 it'll produce a "small" enough airframe to be reasonably rugged without undue engineering.

I know the guy at Small Parts means well but he won't have any possible idea of the need for keeping things stupidly light. By all means get some smaller gears. But from there rely on fairly thin music wire or carbon rod and lots of fairleads for contecting drive shafts.

Bevel gears are very draggy so are best avoided. I suspect you'll find that some sort of pulleys and simple belting will work just fine I'll bet 1/4 wide ribbon sewn neatly to form a belt along with a tensioner will provide the drive system through the wing. I once restored an old belt drive turntable to operation using fabric store ribbon to make a belt in just this way. The belt lasted for some years of regular use.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews