Old Sep 05, 2011, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by Onna Vakkation
Suspended Account
United States, PA, Grove City
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh! View Post
These ESC's look very promising and would like to see further reviews of some of the higher amp ESC's especially the 120P in a jet on 8s at 100 amps...

Also,how many servos can be safely operated with a 5 amp BEC?
Thanks,
-Dave
A good approximation would be to look at the well known 3A linear BEC, as the 5A has not been used as widely, or at least reported on as widely. It will reliably operate 5 reasonably efficient sub micro servos with good cooling. Extreme servo cycling such as on a heli would likely be the only limitation. The cooling is paramount, which is why we generally see only 3 servos recommended on a 3A BEC, as not every setup has the best cooling. The draw of your servos is equally important, but is seldom discussed. There IS a difference between similar servos of different brands. With poor cooling I have been able to induce BEC shutdown with 5 sub micro servos, and only after several minutes of operation. If the BEC on this unit here has a realistically rated 5A BEC, I would have no issue with running 7 sub-micro servos, with good cooling. I personally would run even more. I've done it too many times without issue.

Well rated BECs is a good selling point, which is why I started using TBirds, Dynams, and a few other brands with 3A BECs. IMO any ESC at roughly 18A and over should have a 3A or higher BEC. Some brands such as Eflite used to cheese it with their BEC chips, which is the only ESC that cost me an airplane, being a nice twin 262. Cost a number of folks their Super Airliners also, where they would still have them if Eflite had used a 3A BEC chip.
B
Onna Vakkation is offline Find More Posts by Onna Vakkation