View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by Thomas B
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,906 Posts
Bringing this old B-36 thread back to life....

Yesterday I got a call to come over and inspect/preflight a electric B-36 project in a nearby 'burb. The rumor was that is was an R/C E-conversion of the very large Eureka balsa 114" control line kit from the 1950s...and so it was.

Model is looking great and is impressive! Needs a very few minor tweaks which the owner (Jerry Bailey) is now working on.

It felt surprising light (no scale available). I estimate the RTF weight at abot 20-22 lbs. ..the builder did some weight reduction and hand picked replacement balsa sheeting. He also made lighter fiberglass clones of the original aluminum motor fairings.

Power system is 6x BP 450 class outrunners, 40 amp ESCs and six separate 3 cell 2200 lipos. 8x6 three blade pushers and the model appears to have tons of power. No watt meter handy, but will do that test soon. I am guessing that it is making 300-350 wats per motor, so the power ought to be in the general vicinity of 100 watts/lb.

I will be doing a maiden soon and will give a flight report in the next couple of weeks.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Aug 20, 2011 at 01:33 PM.