View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2011, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by jhspring
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,982 Posts
Mag, I know you have the same paint, one of the Brits told me what it is called but I have completely forgotten. Over here it's interior latex, but basically it is the water-based paint you use to paint the inside walls of your house. Our hardware chains have spectrometers and the first thing I do with any new plane is take the wing or tailplane in and have them colour match it for me. I get 8 oz (240 ml) pots of flat paint for about $3 each. They can also match colour chips if you have those. I'm told it sprays fine, you can thin it with windshield washer fluid or ammonia window cleaners like Windex. The big advantage of the house paint is that it is slightly rubbery (latex?) and gives with the foam rather than peeling immediately.

Roger, paint never sticks as well to EPO as it does to EPS, balsa or glass, but I wipe the surface down with rubbing alcohol, which apparently helps removed the mould release agent, and then for a pristine bird like the Hurri the adhesion promoter works well. It's flat clear, so keep it away from canopies.

As soon as my kit arrives, I will start a general build thread like I did for the Dauntless where we can share ideas and/or problems.

As an aside, Mag, I hang out on the Mossie thread a lot, let me know if I can help with anything. I am rebuilding my second one at the moment so I keep up with all the mods and fixes.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring