Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by draxx View Post
I know it looks very fiddly in the soldering department, but might it be possible to purchase a better CMOS/lens module if the price is okay and upgrade the #11.

Looking at the photos of the CMOS ribbon cable there are 24 solder points but some them may not be used.
Possible in theory, but if you look at the circuit board photos in post #2, you'll see that the CMOS ribbon cable layout (camera V1) changed when a (presumably) different CMOS module started being used (camera V2). In both cables, some of the traces on the circuit board are not being used, but they are not the same traces! Without knowing what kind of signal is expected on the circuit board ribbon cable contacts, there's no way to know if a given CMOS module will work. There doesn't appear to be a standard CMOS pinout arrangement. And aside from that, it would be potluck to know if a given new CMOS was actually better.

I know a different CMOS/lens module had been tried by the developer (claimed to be from the same manufacturer of the CMOS array for the Apple "iEverything" product line). For whatever reason, it did not pan out as being feasible... could be due to cost/benefit.

I believe the #11 needs to go with a larger CMOS (at lease 3 megapixel, and probably 5 megapixel) and a larger lens so a 1280x720 pixel array can be subsampled near the center of the larger CMOS to eliminate the vignetting and get better exposure across the entire frame. I have a 4 year old JAZZ HDV178 camera with a 5 megapixel CMOS that sold for $100 back then. It has many features, very good still images, a standard, easily replaced LI-Ion cell, and had a flip out LCD screen. It weighed 5 oz., but stripped of the case and LCD, could be reduced down to 2.5 oz. Its video is far superior to the #11 because of the larger CMOS/lens. The #11 doesn't need all the bells and whistles... the current Jumbo size is still compact and makes it ideal for many uses where the larger cameras are not suitable. If that JAZZ CMOS/Lens (or similar) could be fit into the Jumbo case (maybe slightly modified), it would be a killer! And the price should not be that much more!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 13, 2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling