View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,159 Posts
Thanks for posting those photos, Ron. A very productive maiden flight this morning. The big Sukhoi required very little trimming and was a real floater with the 70g 2830T/1095 Torque motor with an 11X5.5 prop and a 3S Gens Ace 1550 pack. There was no problem balancing the plane, and I had a wide range of possible CG choices to fool around with. I was very conservative with my flying because the battery was just velcro'd onto the side of the fuse and I didn't want to anything too violent. When I settle on the CG, I will cut a slot in the foam so the battery is well-secured. But it flew like the smaller RC Factory planes, only in slow motion -- a lot of time to think about what you were doing. I want to experiment some more before I settle on this power system. I think a slightly bigger motor (2818T/900 Torque, for example) might be a better fit. That would be 104g as opposed to 70g, but it seemed from today's flying that the airframe could handle a bit more weight.

Chris, can you tell me more specifically what power system you felt was too heavy and what you AUW was? Thanks.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse