View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
It sucks loosing a plane in a tree. Happened to my Beast last week.

I brought her out to the park earlier that day and got my confidence up, especially in slow flight, so I decided to go on the front lawn that evening. Well, after a hard landing, I did a quick overview, and things seemed find, so I sent her back up, and stared practicing outside loops.

That's when the problems started. I suddenly found I couldn't break out of the loop, and the plane was drifting across the street, further and further away (now a good 50 yards out, orientation is becoming difficult, compounded by flying at dusk to begin with. It's feeling like when I push forward, she over pitches down, and when I pull back, she over corrects up. It was like pilot induced oscillations that would violently swing into outside and inside loops. As she drifted further away, I realized my last resort would simply be having to power down and hope for the best. She glid right into a tree and that was that.

My theory is that either the battery shifted in flight (causing a catastrophic CG shift), or an aileron horn got hung up.

oh well, her replacement is here now
If it was an aileron, it would have been in a spin. More than likely, from the sounds of it, was a dramatic cg shift, if not then it sounds like your elevator might have gotten hung up.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay