View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by Isoprop
Joined Nov 2010
2,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Very clever of you to have figured this out! This is not something that most would want to attempt, but for those who might, can you summarize more clearly the advantage of doing this mod?
I'm not trying to diminish your accomplishment in deciphering the camera circuitry (!)... just trying to understand what it does that can't be done now with simpler alternatives. I'm obviously missing something, so please enlighten me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by utx View Post
Advantage of the mod for all users:
I realize that this project is not for the faint-hearted, but, on the other hand, I think the technical-minded among us can learn a lot from this, even if they don't attempt the project themselves. Also, the explanations of how the #11 handles the external power is very interesting.

For me, this is a very exciting project, and, although I have never etched an SMD board, I will certainly give it a try as soon as I have a bit of time to spare - unfortunately this will not be in the very near future. - Actually, I think my main problem will be getting the right exposure for the photoresist spray...

In addition to the technical advantages, I think that being able to use standard USB cables instead of "special" cables to continuous record is THE biggest advantage.

I have made many of those special cables, but I have to admit that I don't like them! It is so much easier to just have one single cable for everything.

Most of my activities with the #11s are done away from home, with only a notebook and a few USB battery packs on hand. It has always annoyed me that I need two sets of cables. Actually it's a lot more, because I have other devices that use USB micro plugs or even dedicated plugs - most annoying.

And last but not least, having a custom modified #11, is something to be proud of
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop