View Single Post
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by Rick Cromer
Cliffside Noth Carolina
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Hand launching HL grob 103

Good morn. Deni
you ask about hand launching; I've had no problem taking off: it has plenty of power-it will climb like a rocket , and as for flying, it's a lot faster than the old dihedreal kit built gliders we flew back in the 70s . I just got back in to r/c this past Feb after about 30 years and bought a Parkzone Radian Pro that i have put several hours on it with no problems . Now back to the Grob , I have a 6 channel with 2 mixes Spectrum TX using a 6 channel RX ,and we mixed a little rudder in with the allerons that seemed to clean up the turns nicely. The first thing we discovered was it has a good glide rate- we're thinking like around 40 to 1 ?? , the last time I flew it I climbed out around 500 to 600 feet, cut the motor, adjusted the trim the best I could and began flying a big left hand 360 turn hands off. It made several rounds without touching the controls and lost very little altitude. However, my landings leave something to be desired: so far have crashed it 3 times. First,RX problems which we correctly quickly by replacing it with a "better"RX. Second and third crashes were pilot error due to tip stalling from trying to land too slowly. We discovered that it is very durable and easily repairable due to minor damage. We're thinking the tension spring inside the wings structure helped keep the plane from being torn up worse. Thanks for reading our thread. Send email and we'll try to send pictures. Good luck with your Grob. Have a good day. Rick
rcromer @ carolina.rr.com
Rick Cromer is offline Find More Posts by Rick Cromer