Thread: Discussion I can't see it!
View Single Post
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:51 AM
Find More Posts by OZPAF
Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
720 Posts
I would plug for spinning the model down both because of the better chance of flashing and for the reduced drift with any wind, so that it will drop closer to the last reported position.
However many gliders do not have enough elevator to do a fully developed spin and could go into a spiral dive which could be fatal due to the speed build up. It will be even harder to induce on large XC models with their longer spans and higher inertia and they could be harder to pull out, so this would need to be explored carefully.
For cross country models - there is a strong case for having a special emegency flight mode which has been pretested to produce a fully developed spin. The elevator throw could be increased to ensure a full stall and aileron introduced on a delay for example.
As mentioned the pilot needs to not delay before making the decision - a minimum of 1-2 secs at most I would think.
On the rare occasion I was able to introduce a spin on one of my 2m's it dropped almost vertically at a reasonable rate and was spinning rapidly.
John
OZPAF is offline Find More Posts by OZPAF