Thread: New Product AXN Floater-Jet (aka Cloud Fly)
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by ajbaker
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Where on this this thread is there a list of recommended modifications to make this plane a reliable and fun plane. I have the Skysurfer figured out and modified / improved a couple of them?

My plan is to use a MicroDan 2505 2535 KV motor with a 6x4 APC sport prop.

--ESC with be a 40 amp Hobbywing switchmode BEC because I have it in stock.

--Servos will be HXT900 because I have plenty of them in stock as well.

I will look at the hinging of the new AXN as well as the control horns and clevises and changes if they they look weak.

Is the spar sufficient for the plane when you increase the power system? If yes, that's good, but if not what's the standard fix?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bill
I wish I could talk you into flying it first with a stock BL motor. It has more than enough power to tear up the sky. The MicroDan will be WAYYYYY too much power. It will be more like model rocketry. Of course, if that is what you want, absolute vertical will start at about 1/2 - 2/3 throttle. It will become unmanageable at WOT. I have not had any spar problems other than the mentioned spar covers coming loose. Make sure you soak the covers with CA (with the spar out) and you will be fine. I am interested to get your comparison report of the CF and the Sky Surfer. I had the CF 2 years before I had the Sky Surfer. I can promise you that you will love this plane. It is like the SkyS in the respect that it will glide into tomorrow. Because the Wing Span is much shorter, it is a lot easier to transport in any car. Therefore, I glued my wings in the CF from the beginning. Oh, after well over 300+ flights, I still have not crashed it (that I recall). Anyhow, I just looked at it closely and it appears that is true. Good Luck (but, you won't need it) and take some videos. Oh, this bird has a nasty dive from a hand launch. Just use a little over 1/2 throttle and about 30 degree hefty toss and you will be fine. It has a launch dive that is much worse than our clones (EZ*, Sky S, Wild Hawk, Hawk Sky, etc.). Don't let me scare you, though. With you experience, you will have no problem at all IF you remember to give it a strong toss.
AJ
Here is what I have been working on the past few days. It is RTF. I just need a wind free day. Around here, in the summer, that is rare.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker