View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:58 AM
Find More Posts by Avaldes
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2083 View Post
Wow 2600 are we trying to kill F3J how do expect to grow the sport with $2600 planes and you need a couple of them then and $2000 dollar winch what happened to keeping J from getting expensive like B. How are we going to encourage junior pilots to fly when there dads can't afford the planes themselves. I guess I know why RES is getting bigger.
Actually, given today's materials costs and the labor involved in building these models, $2k plus isn't that much. If you have ever gone thru the effort to make molds and build molded parts, you would have a different perspective on the cost. I don't like shelling out that much money either, but I know that what I get is a work of art from a real artisan.

There is no real difference in cost between F3B and F3J, just a percieved difference. That is because you have to pay towers and pay their expenses at a big contest. In F3B you have actual equipment (winches and line) to buy. Models cost the same and you need 3 for both if you want to be competitve at the world level.

When I was a junior 20 years ago, I couldn't afford a molded plane either. But I flew the best I could with what was available to me and my family. I learned a lot of fabrication skills because of that. I also didn't have the expectation of going to a WC until I was an adult, with a job and could really afford the right equipment.
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes