Thread: Discussion DX 8 No sailplane programing?
View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:48 AM
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMan View Post
I purchased a used full house sailplane. The previous owner removed his RX, and left the rest in place. I planned to replace the RX with a 6255 I already have. It seemed an obvious and easy conversion from his F brand setup to Spektrum.

However, I can't figure out how to wire this 6-channel RX to operate all of the servos in this craft. The DX8 6-ch sailplane download assumes the use of a 7+ channel RX. One channel (thr) is unused, this is silly and wasteful. The fus is narrow and features two antenna mount tubes for pig-tail 2.4GHz antennas (like those on the 6255). A 6255 is a perfect drop in replacement, except the DX8 wont work.

The docs for the AR6255 suggest use in 6ch carbon sailplanes. It's a perfect fit in the fus. The fus is a kevlar and carbon fiber mix making the 6255's twin pig-tail antennas a perfect match.

An 8000 will not fit, has the wrong antenna layout and lacks the pre-set fail-safe mode the 6255 supports.

I can not use a Y-cord on this craft to link the flaps, because the flaps are mounted as mirrored across the plane. I use a Y-cord with the RadianPro, because the flap servos are mounted in a non-mirrored fashion.

How do I use of the RX throttle channel for an Ail or flap channel?

The in Marketing who decided the DX8 wont support sailplanes needs a swift hard kick in the nuts! The DX10 isn't shipping, who knows when it will and there's no real reason the DX8 can't support mapping the throttle channel to support sailplanes. Pure marketing BS.
It is not necessary to have every possible mix conceivable in order to fly a full house sailplane. You can fly a full house sailplane on a standard 4 channel radio or a Dx5e 5 channel radio. So don't think you can't do it on an 8 channel DX8 with a 6 channel receiver.

Spektrum does not offer a sailplane radio and does not claim to offer a sailplane radio. So what are you complaining about? They never told you it was a sailplane radio.

It is great that they publish set-ups that allow their non-sailplane radio to approximate the mixing of a sailplane radio. I am not aware of any other maker that does this to the degree that Spektrum does it. But you will have to use the type receiver they specify.

If you want a sailplane radio then you need to buy a sailplane radio. JR covers the sailplane market with the 9503 and 11X using Spektrum technology. But their set-up for a full house glider is probably based on a 7 channel receiver too.

To use a 6 channel receiver you can buy a reversing Y cable for the flaps. This is also a common practice when using a full house glider on a 6 channel receiver where the flaps are mirrored to each other.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAFN2&P=ML

If you don't want to use a reversing Y cable and you have open user mixes, you can probably slave the 7th channel (aux?) to the throttle channel. Not sure it will work in all the ways you want but you can give it a try.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 15, 2011 at 05:31 AM.