View Single Post
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by jstiltner
United States, VA, Blacksburg
Joined Aug 2010
197 Posts
Mick,

I have a few questions, in working on our D1 I have a question on the implementation of the flight termination / gps fence etc.

Our autopilot is a Cloudcap Piccolo LT
Implemented in the autopilot software are the following

Loss of data link return to way point
Loss of data link and gps flight termination
Loss of GPS flight termination
Min / Max altitude flight termination
Outside GPS fence flight termination

There will be a separate board as required by the rules that monitors the status of the autopilot (for lockups / failure only) and the status of the RC link. This board can override all other commands and force the servos into the flight termination mode and is powered from the primary system batteries, with its own battery as a backup to those(via a diode). Is this a legal implementation? Specifically for most of the flight termination to be done on board the autopilot, and as a separate question for the power system to be implemented in that manner. I am not asking for design assistance, only weather the implementation of those features on the autopilot is sufficient according to the rules.

Also, would it be within the rules to allow the RC pilot to take command of the aircraft if the autopilot were to lock up, thus initiating a flight termination within sight of the airport?

Thanks,
Justin Stiltner
Virginia Tech Unmanned Systems Lab
jstiltner is offline Find More Posts by jstiltner
RCG Plus Member