View Single Post
Old Jul 07, 2011, 08:23 PM
vtdiy is offline
Find More Posts by vtdiy
low tech high tech
vtdiy's Avatar
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Ahh, well, mrexcel, those changes would tame it quite a bit.

I got a little too ambitious with the P-40 -- a tp2408-21, 2s 800 pack, 3 blade 8-4 prop cut down to 7" and 8.5 oz AUW

I had a slight amount of up trim on first hand launch since the flat wing was at zero incidence, and I'd read here that was needed. But on hand launch at full throttle the plane went into an immediate high speed 20 foot loop and I was too slow to pull it out of the crash behind me.

Broke the nose off into a bunch of pieces and a put a crack in the wing. I took it home, reassembled the smashed pieces with epoxy and hot glue. Put a slight amount of down thrust in, flattened all elevator trim out. Drove back to the field. This time launched at about 50% power. She dove straight into the ground ten feet in front of me and I didn't have enough power to pullout! Again breaking the nose off into a bunch of bits, and cracking the wing again, even though this was in tall grass. The Cellfoam 88 I used is brittle, and already repaired once, just couldn't take it.

I've decided it's not worth re-building for now. I did template all the parts when I first built it and will return to this model again in the future. Probably won't paint it next time. Bet it will fly fine that way. Painting it nice is just asking for trouble on a maiden!

For now, I decided to build EO's other good looking, and much more forgiving plane, the Depron Gee Bee D. Been wanting to do that one for a long time.

I won't paint that one before the maiden, either!
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Last edited by vtdiy; Jul 07, 2011 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote