Find More Posts by mixer421
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Hi Mike,

If you only need to trim the clips, there is no need to also re-encode it unless your PC is not capable of decoding the native video. Can you play the native video .mov files on your PC smoothly using the VLC player?

If so, you should be able to simply load the .mov file into AviDemux, trim it as desired, then in the main Avidemux window left side, set:
  • Video to "copy"
  • Audio to "MP3 (lame)"
  • Format to either MP4 or AVI
This will directly copy the video stream with it's native 1280x720p frame size with the original H.264/AVC1 video codec and bitrate to the new container format, re-encoding only the audio stream, which is necessary for these two file containers, but it goes very fast.

I can play back either the .avi or .mp4 with the VLC player, but for an unknown reason, my W7 WMP does not play the video stream afterwards in the .avi container, but it does in the .mp4 container.

Anyway, try this and let me know how it goes. The .avi format should be loadable into just about any editor.
Thanks again Tom. That's exactly what I needed. The original plays fine in VLC so all should be well. I hope to get some video of what was RAF Hawkinge in the morning and should be able to post the results later.
Mike
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421