Thread: Discussion XC#10 in a series, Giant Icon?
View Single Post
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:10 AM
Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,289 Posts
Impressions from Montague

Bit of a rough contest this year as I got steadily sicker by the day and also had a trip to the emergency room for some stitches, but that's another story...

Started the contest with the plane trimmed from some time on the field without a truck, and two really windy contests in Sac that were cut short for technical problems. Turns out the cruise and speed settings were a bit slow. Not sure how much that affected us but we lost by a bit on the first two days. Also Bob made some recommendations on the rudder mix to help with the tracking. More in speed and cruise and less in thermal. That plus a little more down elevator in the run modes helped the plane track better and get back on track easier when it did wander.

On the third day we took off around 3pm which is really late, and got back around 6pm for a win. I fought really hard on that one but had a lot invested in the day and did not want to give up. Low saves are definitely possible loaded up but probably not as easy as with the Supra. Pilot load is a little higher. Also top altitude is a little tougher but still usable. The high point for the week was 1305m which was the limit for the haze that day. Not sure I would want to go over 1400 even straight overhead on a perfect day.

The strong point of the plane is the interthermal speed. Trimmed correctly we are almost 10 mph faster than the MXC. I think the Supra can be in the same range once it is fully trimmed out but in an all out race #10 will still come out ahead. You have to fly it all the time but this plane was purpose designed to win races and that it does very well.

On the last day I chose to fly a kilo light due to high clouds and uncertain conditions. It turned out to be unnecessary but it was a good experiment. The plane was no easier to thermal but definitely went up faster. There were at least two instances where I was able to climb through multiple planes and come out on top. Interthermal speed was still very good though I was conservative since the sink was not very strong.

Due to a bad handoff the plane was damaged a bit. I plan to fix this one and start one more over the winter. I think it can be made out of glass skins as the one we broke held up surprisingly well. That should knock about $500 out of the cost.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy