Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:52 PM
Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Check the video editing links in teh FAQs (post #3) for more info on MPcam2AVI and Vdub.

I converted a native 20 min. #11 video from .mov to .avi using the MP4camtoAvi utility to get a lossless .AVI file (took 4 secs. to convert), then importing that into Vdub, and exporting with video set for "Direct Copy", NO audio, and frame rate set to 338 fps (to get the same speedup you referenced), which took 34 sec. So about 1 minute to produce that sped-up file even with the program changes.

The playback with WMP was jerky on my PC, which has a lot of memory and a fast video card, probably because the native h.264 video codec over taxed my system playing back at the fast rate. I did not have this problem when I converted an H.264 video to a .WMV file playing at 64x normal speed with a WLMM converted file!

<edit> WHOA! I rebooted my system because it was sluggish on several tasks I had running. Now after a reboot to clean up my system, that sped-up file plays back at full speed with no pauses whatsoever! <edit>
Mr. Frank,

Sorry to be so much trouble, but I got through step 1 with camtoavi. It works great, converted an 80 minute car trip in a little over 8 minutes (14% real time) with no perceptable loss of quality. It did make 4 separate avi files, but step 2 will take care of that.

I am having trouble with opening the avi files with Vdub. It gives me the error message below. I cannot find anything in the thread (searched it) about where to get the required codec. Error message attached.

Any assistance appreciated.

I did finally get the time lapse of the entire 80 minute trip converted with VideoPad, but it took basically the real time of the video to convert. I'm hoping to use the keycams to film entire cross country drives by saving from the keycams to the laptop, and doing the conversions overnight for each leg of the trip. The 80 minute trip takes 8+ minutes to view, so I intend to speed it up more. The 80 minute trip compressed is = 800mph! A short sample is also attached below,(Baton Rouge), but for some reason youtube doesn't show the 720p version.

I want to compare the quality of the Videopad's one step, but long conversion to the two step camtoavi-vdub combination.

Mainly I will use the two keycams on the wings of my Radian Pro, but they will be multi-taskers for sure. Sorry if the time-lapse thing is OT or distracting.
EDIT: Not sure what happened to the beginning of this video. Perhaps clipping it out of the long file using RealPlayer snarled it.
Fast Motion Test (1 min 24 sec)
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jun 28, 2011 at 12:34 AM.