View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2011, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by JimDrew
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
16,941 Posts
Success!

Well, I have figured out a way to emulate the 72MHz synth module so that it generates the PPM pulse to our module. The new code allows v1.x/2.x/3.3-3.41 EVO firmware to now work with our module.

I may spend some more time in the future to do the M-Link support so that we can get back at least our Rx battery voltage and RSSI (Multiplex calls this LQI) information in the EVO's display.

What is required to make this work is the removal of the jumper between pins 2 and 5 on the module connector. In fact, what works the best is to remove the pin 2 connector from the plastic housing and clip the wire at the connector. This leaves a wire connected just to pin 5 of the connector. That wire is attached to one pin on our module's telemetry interface bus. We will have a nicer solution as an upgrade harness (shown below with the yellow wire). Again, this setup works with any version of the EVO firmware, so it is safe to do this as long as you are updating the firmware on our module.

You will need a flashable CPU and our XDP or Telemetry Station to support this upgrade. There will also be an option for you to send in your board to get re-flashed here and returned along with the harness already attached and tested. This would be the only way to get the harness as it requires soldering a 1.25mm connector, which requires special tools.

There is no release date for the M-Link support, if it even occurs at all. That is some major work to take their data and convert it to our format on the fly, add telemetry, etc. This upgrade at least lets you use your EVO with the v3.3 and 3.41 firmware.

Please note that putting the board into binding/programming/XDP mode is a little different than before. You will see a brief flash of "orange" before the LED turns green (while holding the button). Once the button turns green you can release it to start the binding mode. If you keep holding the button until it turns red, releasing it would go into push button programming mode. Further holding the button until the LED changes to orange puts it in XDP mode.

I am working on the updater right now.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member