View Single Post
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:14 AM
Find More Posts by jgestner
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,449 Posts
New Fuselage

Hi Guys I can't begin to thank you all enough for the help in getting my Kadet back into the air. I was thinking it would be reasonable to get the whole old kadet with huge and heavy 32" GEE BEE floats running for water and snow use. It was 7 pounds with floats, glo engine, and tank and old heavy reciever and battery. When I looked hard at the extra weight of the multi repaired and fuel soaked old fuselage, I remembered that I had purchased a new Kadet to replace the busted up wing on the first one. I have the second fuselage built up and just need to finish tail feathers. The current wing and unfinished fuselage come in at just 32 oz. I am sure I can lighten the plane with some round or oblong cutouts on the back half and build a much lighter tail than original and still be near 32 oz. Landing gear and wheels, motor, and batteries will be the main weight additions. I am pretty sure it will be under or near 5 lb AUW. I will give up on the heavy floats for now, ( I got back into this sport just a month ago with the purchase of a Great Planes Seawind rimfire 37" wing seaplane that is still waiting for low winds and no rain). There are probably much lighter float solutions than what I have on that old fuselage if I decide to go that way again.

Thank you so much for the dialog on this project. I did not know where to start. Just looking at the tons of electric motors it is hard for me to picture what will or won't work and why. Now I have a much clearer idea, but if I could bother you all one more time, I can't picture using a 14" or even 13'' prop. Is that going to be almost necessary? The old Fox 45 is running a 10" prop, but I am not going to go back to fuel.

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; Jul 03, 2011 at 09:16 AM.