Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatters View Post
When the jib boom pivot location on the boom is moved , it changes the rate at which the jib swings in and out with sheet tension. So the jib or main boom sheet attachment locations may also need to be changed to keep the jib's movement synched with the mainsail's movement as desired. Stock Nirvana sheet-boom attachment locations are fixed, so they may also need to be changed to adjustable like in the super Nirvana pic.
For more on boom/sheet geometry go to
http://onemetre.net/Build/Sheeting/Sheeting.htm

Boomer, I actually read the Templus Catcus post in 2007 and put a rubber grommet on the Nirvana jib boom pivot like in the super Nirvana and RG65 pics. I never really noticed much difference when moving it around, but I wasn't trying to correct anything and probably wasn't a very good tester.
JP
My sense is that the changes we are discussing would have more impact on a Nirvana with custom sails. The stock materials lend themselves more to long term durability than to being highly efficient. Granted they work fine, but not to the level custom sails do. I guess what I am suggesting is the Nirvana is not a high strung race boat that every tiny modification may eek out more speed.

I just like um! I have boats that are high tech, and love um, but something about the Nirvana keeps me interested.

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1