View Single Post
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,960 Posts
Blackstar RC Yachts - worth taking a look

I was chatting with Martin on another thread and he suggested I draft a post on "Sticky" to share with you guys a line of RC Yachts that may be of interest and that you may not be familar with.

I was doing some research on "Footy's" and came across "Blackstar R/C Yachts". I had not heard of them before, so I contacted them via e-mail to enquire about their very nice looking boats.

I got a phone call shortly after sending my e-mail, which was a positive first step. An engaging fellow named Christopher Lones called me to field my questions. He was a very knowledgeable and interested, and our conversation lasted for 30 minutes.

Christopher is both the designer and the builder of Blackstar R/C sailboats, and has been doing it since 1983. A particular point of interest to me is that his boats are hand layed fiberglass, with Carbon Spars and Mylar sails. I like the fiberglass hull aspect for it's strength.

Chris is the builder and an avid sailor, who builds his boats one at a time, and all by hand. He has a real passion for his products, and for RC sailing in general. He is now located in the Denver area, but as I understand it, he started out in Florida, where his boats are well known and very popular.

His prices seem quite fair for RTR boats. I was surprised actually, I thought the prices were for kits. I asked him if he'd sell a boat without the radio, and he said sure, and to deduct $50 from the posted price. Since I use 2.4 technology and have my radios and receivers, that was good news. I asked him about doing a few custom touches for me, and he was happy to oblige.

He builds a variety of boats and lengths.
Blackstar 36 $499.00 plus shipping
Blackstar 30 $329.00 plus shipping
Footy Class $219.00 plus shipping
Footy F14 $189.00 plus shipping
Blackstar SS $199.00 plus shipping
Blackstar 23 $219.00 plus shipping
Trimaran $279.00 plus shipping

All boats come fully built in your choice of color and include 2ch Radios

Boats are available in kit form. email me for pricing depending on how much of a kit you want.

I posted some photos for your consideration.

To check out Chris's web site go to:
http://blackstaryacht.com/Blackstar_30.html

Look forward to your comments.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1