Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:32 AM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec View Post
Hi Tom - it may seem frivirlous, but have you at any time attributed this edge darkening effect, to shadowing caused by the small case hole in front of the camera lens ? - just a thought and easy to rule out..

You asked in an earlier post about the inconsistent speed test results you were getting using CL6 4GB and 8GB cards. Not entirely sure - plain odd in fact, but I don't get anything like the random read/write throughput yourself and others users have attained. My stats are consintenty below 5GB across the board, CL4 & CL6.

Richard
Yes, the possibility of the small case hole as well as the lens not being perfectly centered in it has come up here in the past as a possible contributor of the vignetting. One user had posted the fact that he reamed his case opening larger to test this, and did not see any difference. Coincidentally, I was just looking at mine earlier this evening and saw the lens was not perfectly centered, and the side that was closer to the lens also had a very slightly greater darkening in the corners of the frame. You can see this in the mask bitmap file I made for the correction filter. I did a little beveling of the case hole and shot a brief clip with overcast day light, but did not see any improvement in that short clip. But will do some more test video on a brighter day.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank