Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNONFODDER0 View Post
Thanks for the help. The camera turns on the red LED when connected to a USB port on the laptop, and turns it off after a little while, consistent with recharging behavior experienced before. Used two different USB cables, but I think this is internal to the device, as I noticed it when getting ready to record and failing to turn it on with the power button. Other than the *one* time, there has been no response to the power button.

Trying it out on a new computer (Dell Netbook WinXP) with the old microSD card, and rapidly pressing the power button, I did get it to recognize the USB mode just now. Not sure how to diagnose if the microswitch is bad, or if it is something else.

Should I reapply the firmware? I have other devices to read the cards, so I can take the firmware off outside the device if necessary, but I'm not sure I can turn the thing on to even see that it is there...

v/r,
C-F
If it functions occasionally, I think the firmware is OK. It does sound like maybe the power button switch is flakey, doesn't it? I'm not sure which pins of the power switch get shorted when you push the button... maybe someone has tested this and can confirm here? Then you could just short those two pins rather than push the button to see if the button contacts are flakey.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank