Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:24 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec View Post
Hi everyone - interesting topic and I thought I'd add some thoughts on this.
To my knowledge, the speed of memory in general, is directly related to the wafer / die size and the size of the semiconductor junctions used in manufacturer. The smaller (in nanometers) the semiconductor juntions are, the faster they can physically operate or switch from one state to another.
Richard
Makes sense, Richard. What doesn't make sense to me though, is why a 4GB CL6 Transcend card is twice as fast in random writes as an 8GB CL6 Transcend card, both of similar vintage so their on-board controller should function similarly I'd think. If anything the 8GB card physical layout factors you mentioned should be the same size or even smaller to fit the twice the memory on the same physical card size. Maybe you can shed some light on that? Two tests of these two cards done with Crystal Disk Mark benchmarking tool are attached. True, the tool was a beta release in one test (the faster 4GB card test) and the final release in the other, but I don't think that would impact the speed readings as shown in the test results.

p.s. Not complaining... the cards are performing like CL10 cards for all practical purposes!... just curious.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 18, 2011 at 07:41 PM.