View Single Post
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
595 Posts
The main build of the model requires no major info. The model is extremely well designed, and builds exactly as the instructions show. I ran into absolutely zero problems with the basic airframe construction. All the surfaces are prehinged, even, except the rudder. And it required only a little extra pressure to fit the tailwheel bearings down into their slot in the rudder.

The only other thing I had to do was grind the openings/ledges for the aileron servo hatches a little so my servos to fit, as they are a little tall for the openings. I'm using Common Sense R/C's branded Hitech 311 servos, on 6volts for the ailerons, and their hi torque metal geared 645MG servos on the elevator and rudder.

The one thing that looks good, but turns out to be an absolute bear, is their cowl mounting. The back of the cowl is ever so slightly smaller than the size of the mounting ring it is supposed to slide over, requireing sanding it's circumference to fit, which then makes it loose at the mounting point.

The motor mounting system I'm using required me to make stand-offs from dowels, with screws made from 8x32 all thread rod. Here is a pic of the motor mounted so far. Today will be spent doing the ESC mounting and wiring, as well as starting on the battery hatch and inner box.
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer