View Single Post
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
595 Posts
Build Log
Great Planes Classic Waco YMF-5 Electrified

After searching the two big sites, RCGroups and RCUnivers for a good build log on this new plane, and coming up empty, I decided to start one here.

I'm going electric, and the only thing I could find was one picture of one showing the location of a hatch for battery access.

I am powering mine with the Rimfire 1.20, Phoenix ICE 100 ESC, and Blue Lipo 5000mah 20C batteries. I will build the battery box for 6S size, but will probably end up using 5S. Yes, I already have spacers/fillers made to be able to switch back and forth, depending on prop used on two of my other planes. I will start with an 18x8, and go from there. I've learned to change props with weather conditions on my big planes, so I also change battery cell counts depending on prop and conditions. It really does make a difference.

Here is the pic of the battery hatch location I borrowed from a post in another thread. It was taken at SEFF this year by Big Lacy.

I've looked over the model and this does seem to be the best way to do this. Wish we could have seen inide the hatch to see how the battery mounts. I'm going to make a kind of tray/box to hold the battery in place.
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
Last edited by Staggerflyer; Jun 17, 2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: adding credit for pic. Thanks Big Lacy.