Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
HI,

I have a question about the video comparing the original #11 video to the results of running it through a couple of editors. I notice that both of the edited versions seem sharper than the original, particularly the one done with Magix. Does the Magix editor have a adjustable sharpening function? The results make it look well worth the $65.

Regards,
Gord
Hi Gord,
Yes, MAGIX does have a user adjustable sharpening filter, and so do the freeware AviDemux and VirtualDub editors (but those two lack many other features obviously). I always sharpen my videos when editing... it makes them look so much better (to my eye), as does toning down the saturation and backing off the contrast a notch.

Recently I've been trying the VideoPad editor (free fully functional trial download, like MAGIX) which sells for about the same price as MAGIX MEP17+. It is easier to use than MAGIX and has some nice features, but not quite up to MAGIX in that regard (especially the titling ability). It has built in adjustable sharpen filter, but it is very sensitive. However, it can use all the Vdub filters, including the less sensitive sharpen filter and one that can reduce the central "hotspot" and vignetting in the #11 video. It works quite well. MAGIX does the latter, too, but can not only adjust the vignetting brightness, but also the color balance.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank