View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by DMala
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,640 Posts
I have a V100D01 which I found to be an excellent choice for practicing indoors during winter months. However, it may be too much for someone who has experience limited to a very stable, 45-degree flybar heli.

As a nex step, I would keep in consideration a 4#6S (90-degree flybar with 3-axis gyro). It is one size higher than 100, but actually in the same category of very small helis. It will require a very simple modification of the tail gear mechanism, which actually should contribute to the learning curve. Based on the pilot's skill, it is possible to easily and inexpensively replace the head with a 4#6Bell head (45-degree flybar) if more stability is needed, keep it as is if manageable, or even modify it to 90-degree flybar with Bell-Hiller head, which with a 3-axys gyro would make this little heli a top performer in its category.

PS Other may disagree but I would not recmmend the MSR to anyone planning to progress further. It's a fun and robust heli, but its peculiar flying characteristics are not conductive as other helis to learn how to progress to more advanced skills. As I stated, others may disagree. Yes the Hirobo Quark would be a great choice if you find one.
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala