View Single Post
Old Jun 11, 2011, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by pmullen503
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,795 Posts
Build Log
Dornier Do-335

I was inspired by J Morgan's excellent Do-335 build. I've always wanted to do one. The Pfeil is just super cool. As a modeling subject is has a couple significant problems. The rear engine makes it difficult to get the correct CG and it has to haul around a relatively large fuselage and tail for it's wing area. Most models I've seen done tend to be pretty heavy.

After invaluable assistance from J Morgan and Stacker I've decided to give a shot. Generally, I start by building a simplified prototype before spending a lot of time adding scale details, retracts, etc. just to see how well it flies before attempting a "scale" build. That's what I'm going to do here.

Instead of two identical motors I'm going to use a smaller motor for the rear. The power distribution will be about 2 to 1, front to rear. That should help in getting the CG right. To save weight I'm going to make it a belly lander (though there will be the structure in place to add fixed gear later). To speed up the build I'm taking certain liberties with the wing shape. The lower fin will be removable. The cockpit will be painted. Not only to simplify things but to address structural issues in that area of the fuselage. I'm shooting for a wing loading of 17oz/ft^2.

Specs.
Scale 1/10
WS 54"
AUW 61oz
Wing Loading 17.6 oz/sqft
Power front RCtimer 3530 1100kv, Rear Turnigy 2209-28 1050kv ~420 watts total
Battery (2) 1800 or 2200mAh 3s
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Last edited by pmullen503; Jul 22, 2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Add specs