View Single Post
Old Jun 07, 2011, 12:23 AM
Find More Posts by MikeC47
Growing up is overrated
Bellevue, WA, USA
Joined Nov 2009
317 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice, that and re-reading everything on this thread and the others about the Phoenix 2000 really helped me getting this ready to fly. I ended up adding a plywood piece inside the firewall to reinforce it, and also I cut some cooling holes. With the spinner in place the value of these cooling holes is probably not worth the work, but I think the plywood helped a lot.
With the stock motor, speed control and prop, it was pulling more than 20 amps on my watt meter at full power, and the motor was very hot after about 30 seconds of running at full power. I really think that the prop is too big for this motor. I decided to try cutting it down a little. I reduced the diameter to 9Ē and also thinned the blades. This helped a little, and the amp draw was reduced to around 17A at full power. The motor was still very warm, but not as hot as before.
I was able to get 4 good flights in today, each around 15 or 20 minutes. I really like the way this aircraft flies, even with the cut down prop it climbs at about a 45 degree angle, and I was even able to find some lift for a little while. I do like flying while sitting in a chair, something I donít often do with my other airplanes. Overall, I am very happy with how it is working so far.
Mike
MikeC47 is offline Find More Posts by MikeC47