homebrew dlg, HELIOS src
View Single Post
May 07, 2011
, 06:33 PM
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
Join the tails
Joining the tails was pretty easy work, especially considering that all you really have to do is join the vertical, all the work on the stab is done. I decided to mount the vertical in the "convential" manner instead of on the side of the boom. This was mainly because I have no experience with side-slung tails and it still has that "that doesn't look quite right" factor to me. I also wanted to try doing a patchless install on the tails, no glass to help bear the loads. This seems to be catching on lately and holding up to some strong launchers so I decided to give it a shot. I think it turned out very good.
With the tails mounted, the build is done, time to program it, balance it, and go fly!
View all Images in thread
Tape on the end of the tailboom to mark the slot to be cut, slot will be 10mm deep, entire bondng area is 30mm long
Now I've never slotted a tailboom before, but I decided to do so on this build because without the glass patch, I felt that something needed to give the tail some "roll resistance" from a sideways landing
With the slot only taking the back part of the tail, the other 20mm of the bonding area needs to be cut so it can slide over the fuse
cut the slits carefully with the exacto
using some 320grit paper to open the slit up so it will fit over the fuse
tape removed, slot cleaned up and the whole bonding surface sanded
rougher grit paper now sanding the edges of the slit
slide on to check fit
make sure its square!
First tack it with some thin CA
Then do a fillet along the seam with medium CA
Finished glue joint
All hooked up, time to program!