View Single Post
Old May 03, 2011, 08:05 PM
Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
UM F4U Maiden!

It was far too windy outside when I unboxed my Corsair - could see the palm fronds bending in the wind. But I knew I'd be awake all night in full-blown new plane addictive craving mode. So I took it out with my Champ.
At the field, I put the Champ up in the wind and even IT was struggling to go forward with a 5043 and a Hyp 180 lipo. And naturally, it was doin' the dolphin; up n' down, frolicking in the wind the way Champs do.

So I said, "No way am I wrecking this F4U on its maiden!"
I flew through the battery and I was about to put a 2nd lipo into the Champ when I said...
"Oh, what the Hell..." (Yeah, I was talking to myself.)

First thing I did was crank-in 4 rounds of up ↑ on the elevator so there'd be no nosing-in on the hand launch.
Then I pushed it to full throttle and gave it a toss. Man, did it move away FAST.
I barely had to trim it out at all, except to take 2 clicks out of the up ↓ I had already given her.

As I brought her around with the wind, this plane was shooting fast and straight like an arrow! I was amazed at the speed!

It is definitely a glider, but it was gliding WAY faster than my T-28. And as I gave her some left aileron to bring her back from about 60 feet downwind, she rolled into the turn (had to give a little right stick up ↑) and blasted right back to me through the wind. Amazing! Like the wind wasn't even there.

(BTW, It would have taken the Champ about 30-40 seconds to get back to me, it took the Corsair literally about 4-5 seconds!)
I then gave it some altitude and MAN that plane is fast! But it just "feels" good, so I never felt out of control.

Not sure how it cruises @ low n' slow, because the wind prohibited any attempt and I wasn't about to plant it in the dirt.

After about 5-6 minutes, I simply brought her around downwind, slowed her a bit, then aimed her into a patch of tall green grass for a soft landing. I cut the prop when she was about 15" up and she just glided in nicely.
First thing I did was check those wing servos.

They were fine: a successful and fun maiden!

This plane is special. It is very light and looks awesome in the air. I'll hold judgement on the F4U versus the T-28 until I can try it out in the calm morning air and see how she cruises. I am convinced that nothing flies like that little "T," but the F4U just might have something for her!

Want to move up from the Champ?
Buy this plane!
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL