View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:56 AM
Find More Posts by atesus
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
192 Posts
This evening I went over the kit wood, checked weights etc. The sheet balsa selection (grain/density/stiffness) is good for the purpose as far as I can see, with crisp laser cutting. There was no wood in the kit with any significant blemishes, though I see some minor warping in the 4mm sheet which carries the stab pieces. I guess I'll steam the stab after assembly and dry flat under pressure. The plywood sheets are also of good quality, though the thicker ply sheet which is supposed to be 2mm is more like 2.2mm thick, so it will require some thinning down when it mates up with 4mm balsa pieces in the tail feathers. The hardware kit includes steel joiners, clevises, bolts, blind nuts, etc. The stripwood is nice and straight.

The kit seems to include pretty much everything that's needed to build the plane aside from the glue. I'll use Sigbond (aliphatic glue) and 30min epoxy where needed, and will try to avoid CA glues. Actually I am tempted to try the new Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue Max on this model. According to manufacturer's description, it contains wood fibers, thus sands easily and is waterproof. Gotta try it on some scraps first.
atesus is offline Find More Posts by atesus