View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by feda
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,300 Posts
Hi Steve,

Your kit has been shipped. I am waiting for the tracking number for your parcel.

In theory and in practice, Shipping via China EMS is faster than shipping via Hong Kong Post; but you will never know. When the post office takes over a parcel, you can do nothing but wait. The Hong Kong Post has a good reputation for its efficiency and service, but when I lost a parcel with them and made email inquiries, all I got were only automated email replies.

The main reason that I provide the Hong Kong Post options is that shipping can be significantly cheap for some destinations such as Russia and Canada. And their small parcel service, unlike EMS whose minimum charge is for 500 grams even when the actual shipping weight is well below 500 grams, is good for shipping small parcels under 500 grams. In addition, the small parcel service rate is same for all destinations.

In order to use the Hong Kong postal services, we need to send products from our warehouses from Mainland China to Hong Kong first. Although Hong Kong is now officially a part of China, they have a system that is different from the rest of China. For example, they have just had an Easter holiday long weekend, while the Mainlanders didn't. Therefore, there are customs check points between Hong Kong and the Mainland. Sometimes, delays are caused over there. It usually takes at least 2 days for our product to reach Hong Kong Post from our warehouses.

China EMS seems to be improving. I haven't had an issue with them for quite a while: knock, knock on wood. China Post also offers Airmail Large Parcel Service, which I was afraid of using for I heard many bad stories about it. However, recently, I keep hearing claims that the service is as good as that offered by Hong Kong Post. Maybe things have changed and I should try it for it does have price advantage over China EMS.

Extra packaging is expensive. The cost is not only the $3 packaging material. The larger part of the cost comes from shipping the packaging material together with the product. Only larger Hokusei models requires extra packaging. I guess the reason is that Hokusei products are designed for the Japanese market and Hokusei's standard packaging is generally good enough for that market but not for the rest of the world, according to Hokusei. I have shipped hundreds of Skywing kits without extra packaging and only had 2 or 3 problems so far.

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Last edited by feda; Apr 26, 2011 at 12:32 PM.