Thread: Build Log HMS Beagle 1:36
View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2011, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by Brooks
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,556 Posts
There is a method in the madness; once you perceive it, then the spider's nest will start to make sense :-).

There is a lot of rigging and RC planning that must be done before you start drilling holes for screweyes, deadeyes, zillion-eyes :-). I use a lot of blue masking tape while working everything out. I think I rigged a mast just stuck in a board clamped to my table the first time. Making test rigs is a respected technique to illuminate kinks and pitfalls. Subsequent squarerigger builds will go faster. You are delving into a technical profession with 1000 years of background study and testing, you'd not think that was going to be as easy as programming a computer, would you *grin*. I've been studying squareriggers for 50 years, and I still am learning neat things every time I build (from old salts and neophytes both), it's a great hobby.
----------
To perhaps answer your question about small yards + small masts (missed it before, sorry) : I've yet to have a failure of 1/8" topgallant masts or yards at sea. The sails supported by the thinnest yards are small; and the masts are supported by stays, fore and aft. And if the wind is strong, you are going to strike those yards/sails anyway, that's just good seamanship.

I use the smallest brass screweyes available at Ace Hardware for yard hangers. Steel ones are a lot cheaper, I just prefer the look of brass.

If I am end drilling a dowel, I plan on reinforcing the dowel end with a wrapping of thread+thin CA (it's called a "doubling" or a "serving" in nautical speak). Sometimes I'll double first, before drilling.

Drilling through-holes in small dowels is easier if you hold them in a V-block (made from V's filed in a chunk of wood, different size V's for different dia. dowels). The drill will try to wander, especially in the small drill sizes necessary. Two tricks: a) file a flat on the dowel where you intend to drill b) rotate the yard in the V-block to counter any skidding of the drill bit - a little practice will show you which way to rotate. I drill with the "sensitive drill attachment" on my Sherline mill. I can use the handwheels to help position the V-Block . There are fancy ways to ensure your flat (or your un-flatted dowel) is precisely centered under the drill bit (to stop wandering), but I find it simpler and faster to do it by eye, handwheel, and rotation of the dowel.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. Drill break, sawdust flies, etc.
Brooks is online now Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Apr 21, 2011 at 08:08 PM.