Thread: Build Log HMS Beagle 1:36
View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by Brooks
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,558 Posts
I agree with most everything Jerry said. Where I differ is amount of support needed; I don't run a backstay to each yard; With both my larger squareriggers, 2 or 3 backstays per mast seems to do the job. His Constellation is much bigger than my ships, and for a big ship you need all the lines.

When rigging, roll up your sleeves and remove your watch - otherwise you'll surely catch something as you are reaching into the spider's nest of lines :-). Move slowly when rigging, that will limit damage; also be sure the hull is not precariously perched on the table, hate to knock it off. Don't nail it down, though, better if the hull and rig can move some to absorb a blow. I tie red ribbon to the jibboom to remind me it's sticking out.

You will need forestays as Jerry said, though, at least for the foremast. Follow your real Beagle diagram; they will be sufficient, and they will look right. You can hang staysails from the forestays (called jibs off the jiboom). So, putting in the forestays from the real ship will allow you to set real ship sails. For the other masts, 1 or 2 will suffice, though you can put in all of them if you wish.

Forestays will need to be tied to the mast above each yard, far enough above to give it room to swing. Too high, though, and they interfere with the foot of the sail hanging from the yard above (btw, the foot is cut in a shallow curve, partly to duplicate the look of real sails, and partly to clear the forestays). I generally just find the location by trial and error. If you put a mouse on the mast, it will stop the forestay from sliding down when it's under tension. A mouse is just a wrapping of thread to build up a ledge. Coat the mouse thread with thin CA and it'll stay put. W/o a mouse, you will be continually having to adjust the forestays, sliding them back up; been there done that :-)

Backstays can be tied just above the screweye yard hanger (if you go that route). This aft leading pair of stays won't interfere with the yards swing; in fact, they will keep the yards from over-rotating. But their lower end must be positioned on the hull so as to not over-constrict the swing of lower yards. Tape them to the bulwarks, then swing the lower yards to make sure you get at least 30 deg swing from the hull centerline (60 deg from square). Move the tape as necessary.
-------
Multi part masts look great, but are a bit of work to get the mast caps made. Drill them in pairs, is one trick to keep the two masts parallel. Single masts (called the poleacre rig) are easier to make, and have a superior yard swing geometry. See Harland for details. You might compromise - 1 dowel for lower and topsail masts, and another, smaller diameter dowel for the topgallant and royal masts. I made a 2 part mast for Aldebaran. One nice thing about multipart masts: the mast overlap gives you a prototypical place to tie your backstays. In a real ship, they were made in pairs, the loop dropped over the mast before the upper cap was installed. I just clove hitch mine around the mast, leaving ends long enough to reach the bulwarks port and starboard.
-----------
btw, I applaud your candor in posting your mistakes. That's how we all learn from one another.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Apr 19, 2011 at 01:36 PM.