Thread: Discussion Model Diesel Engines
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:46 PM
Find More Posts by earlwb
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
15,013 Posts
I think it was the French right after WWII. They might have developed a fixed compression diesel during the war when they were being occupied though. I remember seeing some pics of model diesel engines from France made during the occupation, but these appeared to be one off's at the time.

here in the USA the Drone .29, Mite .099, and I think another company had fixed compression engines at least until the glow engines took over.

Yes free flight was before control line. It came into vogue with the glow engines. The problem with control line was the spark ignition engines were too unreliable to run for so long in a control line plane. The batteries were heavy and didn't last very long, as well as the engines would overheat. But with free flight the engines seldom ran for more than 45 seconds or a minute at the most. So it would work there OK.

Diesel came about and was hugely popular for a while with control line (and free flight too) as you didn't have a coil or heavy battery to deal with. But with the advent of the glow plug, at least here in the USA, the glow engine quickly supplanted the diesels and spark ignition engines.

Now tether line cars and boats were around before WWII and were quite popular too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 31, 2011 at 08:52 PM.