Find More Posts by PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
8,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker_Bill View Post
Why is there no one flying there any longer? (or maybe I've been there at the wrong times). Has there been some sort of restriction imposed upon this site restricting the flying of RC aircraft along this bluff? Any info would be appreciated.
Hiya Bill:

The flying field is now typically referred to as Fairview Park and it's home to the Harbor Soaring Society. It's also my home field for flying electrics and I'll be heading there this morning as soon as I finish the bowl of granola in front of me.

There's still a thriving group of electric and thermal duration pilots flying at Fairview. The electric crowd shows up early before the wind comes up. Then at around 9:30 or so the glider pilots show up and set up the winch. Later in the afternoon a more informal group of electric pilots show up and fly until dark.

Unfortunately the slope isn't worth flying anymore. They've planted trees at the base of the slope (there's a park down there now) and the lift is just too turbulent to be any fun anymore.

The one thing you need to understand is the City of Costa Mesa now requires that you have a permit to fly at Fairview. It costs $20/yr. and you have to be a current member of the AMA or show proof of adequate insurance (trust me: the AMA membership is the path of least resistance). You don't need to be a member of the Harbor Soaring Society, though

And on that note, I'm off to Fairview to commit some model aviation.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR