View Single Post
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by cayars
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
You mentioned testing.I didnt quite fully understand what you meant by "not going into another guys results".
Not as controlled evaluations as mine so I don't value his results as much as my own.
Quote:
What Im trying to understand as I read all the "issue reports" is whether anyone has confirmed that it is not a power issue.I mean beyond "it works fine with my other radio". Are you saying you are aware of logging done confirming no loss of power at the bus when these loss of control incidents are occurring? Dont get me wrong.Really Im just concerned.Honestly in some ways it could scare the hell out of a guy.
Have you confirmed it is not a power issue?
Scientifically, no.

I've only had my DX8 for a few weeks with a few days worth of flying time.

Call it a hunch, but I honestly don't think it's a power issue. I base this "guess" on the fact of using different quality ESC and also the separate battery pack. Also the fact that these same combos never caused problems with other transmitters.

At this time all I have done is try with different ESCs (quality units) like the Airboss and ICE controllers and also with fully charged battery pack with no ubec powering the radios. No logging has been done at this time. I do believe the ICE controllers can do logging but I haven't gotten that far yet. One of my buds does have an Eagle Tree Logger that I'm sure he would let me borrow. Getting some logging data to check power issues is something I'm planning on doing but have yet to do. While I don't think it's a power issue I do want to rule this out in a controller manner.

Quote:
Maybe I am just lucky or I have the right angels or something but so far so good for me.I do what I call basic testing at setup or when I change something.For me that means e-logger on all the nessesary functions.Motor current draw if electric,Voltage at the Rx bus during flight conditions,and current use by Rx/servos.Ive had more than one be way too close to the edge in actual use that get beefed up one way or another.It might be working and flying fine but marginal.

Andy probably thinks Im nuts but when I started with my DX8 I went back and did some of the same tests on stuff that Ive been using.My results are mixed.I honestly think the DX8 uses the available power differently.Is this bad? I think not. Its just different.I could go on and on but my testing showed some of my setups were marginal.More than they were when I set them up awhile ago on my DX7.Swapping back and forth I had mixed results.I almost got sucked in until I just went back to the basic.Forget about everything else and test the setup.If its marginal beef it up.If it looks ok from the data go fly it and have fun.So far so good.It has made me aware of safety again.If Im scared when I fly its all over.
You could be right about a "marginal" setup. This in itself is pretty scary. Something marginal that works fine with a JR, DX5, DX6i and DX7 that just doesn't work reliably with a DX8 is in itself cause for alarm. But that is speculation.

I'm not a nay-sayer, a spectrum basher or anything like that. I love this platform but I'm concerned right now. While HH is known for it's customer support it "feels" like we are being let down with this issue. All we ever hear/or read is that things were tested and sent back. This might be one of those odd situations where lab/bench testing isn't going to find a problem easily. I know I'd feel a lot better about the situation if I knew HH was actively trying to pinpoint the said issue by flying some of the problematic returned receiver/transmitters as apposed to just bench checking them.

Carlo
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars